Sunday, October 12, 2014

We're not joined at the hip, you know!

Arriving at my gym the other night, I was immediately asked "Wo ist Ihr Mann?" (where is your husband?). The question took me by surprise. I would have liked to have answered something along the lines of; "we're not joined at the hip, you know!" but I couldn't figure out how to say something like that in German quickly enough so I just mumbled something about him having to work.

It struck me as an odd question. I know that we often go to the gym together when it works out with our schedules but we're capable of going there without each other! When I mentioned it to the GerMann later he said he often gets asked at the gym where his wife is when I'm not there! We're not the kind of couple that feels like we have to do everything together. We both enjoy our independence and have our own friends and interests. I also think it's good for the relationship. That way you have more stuff to talk about when you do spend time together and a little absence now and then makes the heart grow fonder!

I couldn't help being reminded of a time in the late 90s when I ended up being on the same flight as Andrea Corr, from the well known Irish folk music group, The Corrs. We got talking on the shuttle bus from the plane to the airport and were having a lovely chat until I made the silly faux pax of inquiring where the rest of The Coors were. I'm pretty sure I didn't even mention them by name! The question naturally didn't go down well and she answered a little frostily, "we're not joined at the hip, you know." Whoops!


I totally get it though. if I were her and being constantly asked where the rest of the group are whenever I actually ventured out alone, it would bug the hell out of me too!

Anyone else have any awkward celebrity encounters? Do you spend lots of time with your significant other or also enjoy time doing your own thing?

7 comments:

  1. In 2003 Kevin Costner came to my hometown for an event sponsored in part by the bank where my dad worked. He'd been one of my favorite actors for years. My parents and I went to a special reception at which I had learned I'd probably get to meet him. On the 45-minute drive I tried to figure out what on earth I'd say when I shook his hand. I settled only on NOT saying "I've seen all your movies...!" When the moment came and I shook his hand, my mom (who didn't really know who he was) followed with, "My daughter has seen ALL your movies!" Ugh...

    Luckily (unluckily for them) I guess celebrities are used to awkward moments. I'm sure Andrea and Kevin have heard far worse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, great story! Thanks for sharing. I think if I met Kevin Costner I'd probably start talking about The Bodyguard and Robin Hood, which I bet he's sick of talking about! I think really embarrassing would be mixing a celebrity up with someone else

      Delete
  2. My husband was talking to that guy in a pub, and he was asked where he was from. My husband replied " Mauritius", and the guy answered " Oh, I've never been there, but I heard it's a lovely place". My husband replied " yes it is, but it's very expensive as well. Look, it you want to go, just let me know, I'll arrange something with my family or friends, you won't have to pay for a hotel or anything". The man thanked him and said it was very nice. At the end, he said: Oh by the way, I didn't introduce myself, I'm Bono. To which my husband replied "Hi, I'm Fabrice, nice to meet you". He went back to his table, and couldn't believe when his friends told him who he was talking with. He was mortified!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, wow that's mad! Sounds like Bono was quite down to earth. I think he could definitely afford a hotel though :)

      Delete
  3. If I ever go out without my boyfriend everyone asks where he is. Because weekend are basically the only time we get to see each other, usually if one of us goes out the other does as well. There are probably people out there who have never seen one of us without the other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I work together, and do most everything after work together too. We kind of ARE joined at the hip, and my coworkers always tell us they don't know how we can work so closely and still get along. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome