Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Transversary



Last week was our "Transversary", the anniversary of the successful IVF transfer. I remember the day well. Despite a promising egg retrieval we had yet again ended up with only a few viable embryos to transfer, this time just two. We decided naturally to transfer both, all or nothing. We had already decided that this would be our last shot.

We had to travel over an hour and be there early. The process was similar to my previous clinic. The main difference was this time my husband was able to be there for the transfer (he unfortunately missed the previous ones). I remember the doctor commenting that one of the embryos looked particularly good and had divided well. The two embryos were transferred, I rested a bit then we went on our way.

After the transfer as we were leaving the clinic my husband and I ended up having a stupid row. He commented that he found the transfer anti climatic and that upset me. I guess he had thought it would be more impressive on the screen seeing the embryos going into my womb whereas it was hard to see anything! And then we also had a silly argument about where to eat. He can get a big hangry - irritable when hungry - and I was avoiding gluten and dairy at the time so finding someplace we were both happy with was a challenge! Everything just got to me and I started feeling emotional. I remember being really anxious then that me being upset would stop the embryos from implanting. I thought I'd ruined my chances already by not being relaxed and zen enough!

Anyway, after we ate we both felt better and the rest of the day was really nice. What a difference a year can make! Somehow that little promising embryo did implant and grow and now my daughter is here. In Germany at the fertility clinics they don't give you pictures of your embryos to take home so I can't do a photograph of Mini holding a picture of herself as an embryo, something I've seen other people doing for the transversary. I'll just give her an extra long hug and we'll remind ourselves how lucky we are to have her in our lives!

I'm sorry for all the couples still stuck in the trenches, hoping and praying to have a family. I haven't had time to keep up with all the blogs unfortunately but I think of you all often and I'm wishing everyone good things whatever the future brings!

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been a year already! I mean, you have your daughter now so obviously the anniversary was coming up but it doesn't feel like a whole year! I'm so happy that one year on you can give your little girl an extra big squeeze <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it doesn't feel all that long ago! I'm rooting for you now too :)

      Delete
  2. I like your comment that the transfer that worked was the one where you weren't feeling relaxed or zen enough!

    A lovely 1 year anniversary post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's funny how that was the one transfer I was convinced didn't work!

      Delete
  3. Very sweet! Our last transfer was the one that worked for us too and I wasn't confident at all!
    Happy transferversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's all really such a mystery still what makes it work sometimes and not other times

      Delete

Comments are welcome