Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Heartbeat


Trigger warning: pregnancy mentioned.


Firstly I wanted to say thanks so much for all the lovely comments and messages from everyone! It really means a lot to us.

Well I finally the day I've been waiting years for arrived. It was my first pregnancy ultrasound ever! The appointment wasn't till 5pm and it felt like such a long day waiting for it. On the way to the clinic, hubby and I both felt pretty nervous. I couldn't help thinking that either it was going to be an amazing moment or an awful one! Once we were called in to Dr. Peppy we spoke for a few minutes and then she suggested we do the ultrasound. I jumped up, pretty eager to finally see what's going on in there!

She started having a look and pretty immediately found something - the gestational sac with a tiny fetus..and a heartbeat too! I literally burst into tears at that stage! Mostly from relief to be honest. Just all the anxiety had been building up and I was so relieved and happy to know that everything is ok! The doctor also confirmed that there is only one baby in there. I did feel a little sad thinking about the other embryo that didn't make it but we are still absolutely delighted with one. A multiple pregnancy would have had more risks. We would be so grateful for one healthy baby! Once I pulled myself together and stopped crying I was able to ask some questions. It was so amazing seeing the little heartbeat! You can't really see much at this early stage (six weeks), just that something is there. The baby is only the size of a pomegranate seed!

Then Dr. Peppy discussed all my meds. I am to continue taking something for my thyroid plus baby aspirin. The Granocyte injections will be kept up every three days until I reach the 2nd trimester. I will need to continue getting the intralipid infusions every two weeks until then too. Progesterone tablets and steroids I can gradually start reducing now. And then she said that that would be my last appointment there, the next one would be at my local gyno! Wow, gradation from the fertility clinic already. We thanked the doctor profusely for all her help. She could see how happy and overwhelmed we were!


Afterwards I got another Intralipid done. That took almost two hours. The clinic had really bad reception so it was ages before I was able to message my family to let them know how the appointment went! Everyone was delighted. To be honest this whole experience still feels completely surreal. Sort of like I've woken up in a parallel world where our dream is actually coming true. This morning I phoned my gyno and arranged an appointment for two weeks time. I'll be eight weeks pregnant by then, please God.

I don't think either of us will be able to fully relax until the second trimester to be honest. I still have a fair bit of anxiety. That said, I am absolutely loving the thought that there is a tiny baby growing in there right now. I'm praying so hard that it will be a viable pregnancy and the little one will stick around. So far my only symptoms have been increased appetite, sore boobs, tiredness and lots of heartburn! Hubby is excited too. He's even been thinking about how many months he'd like to take as parental leave (In Germany, you get 14 months to share among the parents). It's so amazing to dream and imagine.

39 comments:

  1. Congratulations hunny. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so wonderful! This has been a long wait for you. Isn't the heartbeat the most amazing thing to watch? I hope that everything goes smoothly for you from this point on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot, thanks! Yes it was so amazing seeing the tiny flicker and knowing that the heart is already beating!

      Delete
  3. Such a happy update. Hope things continue to go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best news!
    I'm very happy for you and hope all will go well <3<3<3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again. Wish rest of your dreams come true very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Copingwithmiscarriage.wordpress.comJuly 4, 2017 at 10:37 PM

    Hooray!! This is the first big hurdle!
    If your clinic is confident enough to discharge you then that's a really good sign too.
    After everything you've been through you deserve this wonderful experience. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that's the first big hurdle which is a good sign! Thanks for your support :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Really am so pleased for you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic!! so so delighted!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! So glad that everything is ok so far!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya-ta! (The Japanese way of expressing success ;)

    That's a pretty strong little baby if it's producing the hormone levels you describe and it already has a heartbeat. Can I call him he for now? Or should I call she? "It" just feels too impersonal.

    If you're okay, I'll use "she" until the gender is known.

    She sounds like a fighter. Let's make a deal. You be paranoid in the first, and I'll be paranoid for you in the second.

    So many congrats. I your little fighter brings you many sleepless nights and diaper changes in about nine months. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure, let's say "she" for now! I hope so much too that she is a little fighter. Thanks, sleepless nights for a new baby would be great!

      Delete
  11. Yay, yay, yay! I am so happy for you. This has honestly made my day - and I needed the smile having started my period yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bev! I'm sorry though to hear you had another unsucessful month TTCing. Hoping for good things for you soon!

      Delete
  12. Well, I'm really late to this! Such wonderful news, and so pleased it's all going well so far. I'm sure it does feel surreal, but I hope you get to enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mali! Yes I've been enjoying and appreciating each moment as much as possible too :)

      Delete
  13. Woo hoo!Fantastic news!!! So pleased for you!!! I know EXACTLY the feeling! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to get to the stage you are at now. x

      Delete
  14. Ahhh, I thought I commented on this post, but better late than never! Congratulations, this is GREAT news! How amazing, a strong heartbeat and graduating from the fertility clinic. I love all the hopes and dreams, dream away! Sweet little pomegranate seed...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw congrats!! This is wonderful news!! Now I need to go back and read to catch up..haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness!!!! i am super far behind on everything and am only just seeing the news. CONGRATS!!! so happy for you. fingers & toes crossed for a smooth pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! What wonderful news! Will keep fingers crossed for a good transition to the OB and a smooth pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been around lately so completely missed this post, I am so delighted for you both. It's been such a tough road for you and I'm glad you didn't give up :-) Congratulations, I wish you all the best for the months (and years) to come :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome