Wednesday, February 14, 2018

weeks 36 - 37 baby shower & family visit #pregnancyDiary

Week 36

This week we had an appointment at the hospital where I'd like to give birth. You don't have to register, they would accept you if you were to just show up but it's nice if you can go there beforehand. We met one of the midwives who filled out a form with medical history, information about the pregnancy and my birth plan wishes. I said I'd like low intervention, hopefully even a water birth, delayed cord clamping and skin to skin bonding. They seemed really open to my ideas. Whether I'll be able to have a water birth will depend on if the room with the birthing pool is available at the time. We also requested a family room to stay in after (it costs 75€ extra per night) and that would also depend on availability.

The midwife answered my questions, was really friendly and left us both with a good impression of the place. Afterwards we were able to get a tour of the birthing suites, apart from one room which was in use. We could hear a newborn baby crying as we went past and it made me feel quite emotional! And a little overwhelmed, like oh my gosh, do we know what we are in for?! I hope we can handle everything. Seeing the birthing rooms also made it all feel very real and I did feel a bit nervous to be honest!

This week I met up with the girls from my birth preparation course for lunch and there were six of this there this time. It was really nice. I felt a little shy at times about speaking German, I still get that way with new people sometimes even though I've lived here over seven years now however at one stage they commented that my German is really good and they love my accent which made me feel more confident.


It's been a busy week between one thing and another! I met up with several friends, organized the things in the baby room, did some housework and relaxed when I had time. Next week my Dad is visiting which is great. Once I get to 38 weeks I intend to not plan as many social things as pretty much anytime between week 38 and week 42 I could go into labour and I'd like to start winding down a little and resting before the baby comes!


I also had my baby shower this week. It was great! I definitely felt loved and spoilt. Two american friends of mine here threw it for me and did a lovely job. There were about ten of us there altogether and everyone got on really well. There were some onesies, bibs and nappies that people could decorate and write messages on. It was such a lovely afternoon. I was also overwhelmed by all the lovely presents we got and so many people wrote us lovely messages in their cards about how happy they are for us and how they can't wait to meet our little one.



Week 37

Early this week I went to Schwangerschaftsgymnastik "pregnancy gymnastics". That was run by the centre where my "Hebamme" (midwife/doula) works. I would probably describe it as a mixture between gentle aerobics and yoga. At the beginning we had to introduce ourselves and say where we lived and which month our babies are due. It still feels a little strange for me at times to be part of the mum "club" now after it always seemed so elusive for years. Everyone was friendly. We practiced some breathing exercises in the class to help for birth.

They also offer a meditation class at the centre which I might try out next week. They have acupuncture too but don't think I'll do that as I didn't like it in the past! Once the babies are born they also offer various classes. There's a thing called Rückbildung which is an exercise class to help your body recover. You are meant to start it around 6-8 weeks after birth and the German health insurance covers it. They also offer classes with babies/kids such as music and dance and babywearing. There's a nursing group too who go to cafes together once a week. So lots of options for getting out of the house with the baby during parental leave.

This week my Dad came to visit for a few days which was lovely! I was feeling pretty good and we went out for long walks two of the days and also to some nice restaurants while hubby was at work. I really enjoyed spending some quality time together before it'll all be about the baby. In around a month he will be back with my sister to visit us and please God, the baby will have arrived safely. It was a bit emotional saying our goodbyes. It still feels surreal to me a lot of the time that I might actually get a real baby soon! Not sure when that will actually sink in.


I had another doctor's appointment and this time I paid extra for an ultrasound. I wanted one for peace of mind mainly! Everything looks good thankfully. The baby is still positioned head down. I'll go back to the doctor at the end of week 38 and then I've an appointment on my actual due date. The doctor's assistant said if I don't show up they'll assume I've given birth. It's really mad how little time there is left. I would like another week or two to feel more ready ideally but otherwise I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be!

My Dad told me that my Mum had very short labours for all three kids. Like only around 4-5 hours!! For my birth she woke him up around 5am after timing the contractions for awhile to be sure it was real and then they went to the hospital and I was there by around 9am. So a lot faster than I realised! It's a good thing if I take after her in that way and don't have long labours but it's something to be aware of. At the birth preparation course we had been told first time mothers labour an average of 12 hours and to spend the first 2-3 hours at home but in my case it sounds like I shouldn't hang around too much if things are moving quickly! It's something to be aware of. Of course I would time the contractions too. One of the evenings while my Dad was here I did have some cramps for awhile. They probably lasted around half an hour or so. They were uncomfortable but not so bad. Practice contractions I think! Apart from that no other indications of when the birth might be.

Happy Valentine's Day by the way!

14 comments:

  1. Seeing the actual delivery room and the bed for the baby makes it so much more real!! Just like all first time mothers before you, you will figure it all out just fine :) It's crazy that is is almost time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think all first time parents are quite clueless at the start and have to figure out a lot of it as they go along!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh you are so close! Somehow I didn’t realize you are due only a month or so after me. I’m kind of reliving those last crazy weeks reading your update (I hope yours are less stressful though). Pregnancy gymnastics sounds ok after all....no balance beams lol. That’s nice you got to tour the birthing rooms and it sounds like they are very comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea my due date was only a few weeks after yours I think! It hasn't been too stressful really. Just a little overwhelming thinking about what's ahead!

      Delete
  3. So close! So exciting! I'm just closing in on 35 weeks, and I can feel in my belly how freaking big this baby is! On the one hand, it's so exciting because it's so real. On the other hand... um... how is he gonna get out exactly? Haha. Ha. Ahem. I just hope he's more or less normal size. I have no basis for comparison, but my midwife seems sanguine, so here's hoping.

    I had my baby shower last week, and it was also quite fun, and amazing how kind and generous people have been. I guess they know how much we've struggled, including financially. Three IVFs and two donor embryo transfers are not cheap, especially factoring in plenty of interstate and international travel. But so worth it. I just want him to get here and get to know him as an individual, not just a swirling cloud of ideas and belly kicks! I'm sure you feel the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I also have thoughts now and then like oh gosh this baby has to come out of me somehow, I hope I'm ready!! I'm glad you had a lovely baby shower. Yeah people have been so generous for us too, especially knowing our struggles to get to this point which is really nice. Wishing you all the best for the next few weeks and that your little guy arrives safely!

      Delete

Comments are welcome