Wednesday, November 15, 2017

week 24 - viability milestone #pregnancyDiary


Week 24 is a bit of a milestone. This is the earliest that a baby could possibly survive if he/she were born already. The statistics improve for every extra week they stay in the womb. So it goes form odds of only around 40% at this week to around 90% by week 30. It's great to have reached this stage.

At the weekend we had to run some errands. Since we do car sharing it makes sense to rent the car for something like four hours then try to get everything done at once. It can be a bit of a rush though! We brought some garden waste to the dump, went to the hardware store to pick up some things, then went to a furniture shop and finally to the supermarket for groceries. It was Saturday morning so everywhere seemed to have traffic and long queues. It was good to get stuff done but exhausting. I felt a little faint at one stage at the hardware shop so once we got to the furniture place we went to the cafe for a snack. Once we got home and had unpacked the stuff we had to prepare lunch before finally we were able to put our feet up and relax.

On the way back in the car it suddenly hit me that next year we will have a baby and everything will change. Planning a trip like that would have a whole other dimension added as presumably we'd have to think about bringing a nappy changing bag, be aware of naps and feeding times, use a car seat and have a buggy or carrier. Of course I have often been daydreaming and imagining how things will be with a baby but the huge responsibility of it just struck me all of a sudden! This isn't going to be something we'll be doing for just a few weeks, our lives will be changed forever. I'm not saying I'm not ready and I don't want this completely. It was just a moment of thinking of how much our lives will be different next year!

I've had friends in the past say to me that after they had their kids they had to mourn their old lives - being able to do things spontaneously for instance. As someone going through infertility I didn't have that much sympathy since I was more than ready to give up a lot of my freedoms, though I would try to understand. Of course whenever I picture our lives with a kid I imagine a well behaved easy one. I'm not daydreaming about being thrown up on or having to look after a screaming baby, haha! We'll figure it out though. Hubby and I will make a good team, I hope. I've been reading lots of articles about parenting so I do think I'm somewhat prepared. My birth preparation course starts next week. Hopefully we'll be shown how to change a nappy and bathe a baby, practical stuff like that but if not the Hebamme who will come over after the birth should help us. It's nice to have a few more months to prepare for baby's arrival.

A few days ago I went to the general doctor to get the flu vaccine. My arm was a little sore for a few days after but otherwise no side effects. She commented again how happy she is for me and also that I seemed much less anxious compared to the last time I was there. I had gone to her with my bad cold and cough and asked if I could also be tested for listeria while I was there as I'd worried I'd picked it up by eating some smoked salmon. She had looked at me at the time like I was a little crazy and told me if I had listeria I would have symptoms and it's really unlikely to get it. These days I don't freak out as much about little things.

I had another doctor's appointment this week. This time there was no ultrasound unfortunately. But it's ok, I've been feeling the baby move a lot now so I'm not as anxious to see what's going on in there! Everything was good. He commented that my cervix is "very nice", haha! I had to drink the sweet drink and get my blood taken an hour later to check my glucose levels. I got the results after a few days and they were fine thankfully. The doctor told me I can stop taking the baby aspirin tablets now. He thinks that might also help against my frequent nose bleeds. He wrote a letter for me to bring to the airport when I fly next week just in case it's needed. Hubby wasn't able to come with me and he'll have to miss the next appointment in a month's time too sadly, but the one after in January he'll be able to make. I've been feeling really grateful today that this has been such a smooth pregnancy overall. Hoping it continues to be so!

14 comments:

  1. This is a truly great milestone to reach, but also the riskiest.

    I hope this doesn't make you nervous, but my husband's co-worker went through a terrible tragedy at this point. (Gosh, maybe I shouldn't tell this story.)

    Anyhow, his wife had conceived a child at 40 years old by IVF. Then she gave birth at 24 weeks. The child survived, but with brain damage and severe problems.

    I'm so afraid if I get to this stage because there is a chance the child can survive, but their health will suffer.

    I'll be so relieved when you reach 27 weeks. Your daughter should be through the greatest of any danger.

    I'm so sorry if this post was a Debbie Downer on such a happy milestone. I'll be much more positive in future ones. I think way too much about all the stages of pregnancy. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's a sad story. I hope they are managing as best they can now.

      I did come across one graph that gave the viability odds beside the chances of the baby not having any health defects so really you still don't want the baby to be born too early! When I talk to her in my belly I tell her to stay in there for longer and keep growing! I had some cramps the other day and worried it was preterm labour but it was just braxton hicks I think (or something I ate)! Haven't felt them since.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you've reached this stage - although baby definitely needs to stay in there for a while longer! With your trip and then Christmas I'm sure the next few weeks will fly by and you'll be giving us your 30 week update before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's exciting to reach this point! Yeah between my trip home and then Christmas coming up time is going to fly. Looking forward to next appointment and hopefully another ultrasound to see how the little lady is doing!

      Delete
  3. Yay viability! I’m all for celebrating this milestone: we need something tangible to bring confidence.
    My last pregnancy I spent months being terrified of listeria. I don’t know why; it’s not like I took a lot of risks. But I cried for days because I ate a turkey sandwich. When I got over that I ate some peaches which I found out were recalled. I just believed all the bad stuff would happen to me. Then I read the actual stats on listeria and they are so low, there are probably dozens of things more of a risk. Anyway you sound more level headed. It can be hard to keep perspective when the stakes are so high. I have confidence everything will continue to go great for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's nice to celebrate the milestones! I'm sorry you were so terrified about listeria. It scared me too when I read about it but my doctor told me the chances are really slim of catching it so I've stopped being as paranoid now!

      Delete
  4. Yay for viability!!! That's a huge milestone and it sounds like everything is going great. It's so hard to not think about the bad. For me, it got easier once I hit 24 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it's easy to let your mind wander to all the things that could go wrong but I am really trying to focus on the positive and assume all will be fine! Yeah I've been feeling a lot more secure too having gotten to this stage. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  5. Yay for every milestone along the way! When we were fostering children it was the same sort of realization. But don't worry you will adjust! We had one kiddo for 2.5 months and we were old pros at that point. Just know in the beginning you will be tired and cranky and you might fight a bit more than usual. Apparently sleep deprivation does that! Enjoy every minute hunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw,thanks for the support! Yeah I can imagine the sleep deprivation could make us a little cranky and impatient with each other but I want to think of it like we are a team and we'll figure it out together. Glad to hear in your case you adjusted and became like pros :)

      Delete
  6. Belated congratulations for hitting this milestone! Amazing. I'm glad you're settling in with less anxiety. And it sounds like you have a realistic vision of what's to come. I'm glad things are going smoothly, may they continue on this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah it's so nice to have reached this stage and I'm really grateful that is has been smooth sailing lately :)

      Delete

Comments are welcome