Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Week 20 - halfway there #pregnacyDiary

This morning my husband texted me while I was at work to tell me he was reading about week 20 and the baby is now the size of a large banana! I'm finding it really sweet how involved he is being because I know some men don't really bond so much with the baby until after they are born whereas as a woman you have nine months of the connection. He even brought a little present for the baby back from his work trip - two children's books. Our baby got a second present this week too! One of my mother in law's friends knitted little booties and a blanket. So thoughtful and nice. It's mad to think I'm halfway through the pregnancy now! Actually the last few weeks have gone quite quickly. I'm excited for my next scan which is coming up soon!

I've come down with a bad cold the past few days. It started with just a runny nose and feeling a bit run down but now I've also got a horrible sounding cough making it hard to sleep at night when I have a coughing fit. I've been trying to rest up as much as I can and drinking hot teas. Hubby was worried it might develop into a chest infection or pneumonia so I went to the regular doctor after work. It was nice telling the doctor our happy news as she knew we'd been trying. I guess I told a lot of people! She said she'd rather not prescribe me anything as it will probably get better by itself, which is fine by me. She wrote me off sick for the rest of the week. Even though I've been feeling miserable with this cold (it's the worst one I've had in a long time!), I still feel guilty about having to miss work. There have been a lot of projects and deadlines lately- plus stress to be honest. I feel a bit like I'm letting people down but I have to put me and the baby first right now.

I also got some unexpected good news a few days ago. I have more holidays to use up before my maternity leave starts than I'd realised. 14 days instead of the 6 I'd thought I had basically. I'll barely be working at all really between now and mid January at this rate (due date towards the end of Feb)! In Germany your maternity leave starts six weeks before the birth. What do women normally do then I wonder? Meet up with other friends who aren't working? Cook and freeze lots of meals for when the baby arrives? Decorate the nursery? Relax? Read up on childbirth and parenting? My sister got me a book about baby development and I've been enjoying reading about it.

I think I'm definitely feeling some movement now which is great! When I place my hand below my belly button while sitting down, I notice something now and then. Sometimes it's almost like a little tap against my hand which could be a kick. Other times it's it's sort of like a vibration or muscle spasm in my stomach basically. I've started to recognize the feeling.

Of course this could still be gas, but I like to think it's the beginnings of starting to really feel the baby and it should just get stronger from now on! While watching tv last night there were two times where I definitely felt something for a second. Then today at my computer again. That must be the baby! I'm excited for when hubby will be able to place his hand on my belly and feel the baby move too. Not much else to report, my next doctor's appointment is soon and then we should hopefully find out the gender too!

12 comments:

  1. From what I heard of my friends and relatives, they spent their 6 weeks before birth sleeping a lot. They felt tired all the time. I think the pregnancy at that late of stage took its toll on their bodies.

    Maybe you'll be one of the "lucky" ones and feel a burst of energy that keeps you wide awake and with nothing to do. There is always becoming the town gossip if you find yourself too idle ;)

    Can't wait until you feel the first confirmed kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, catching up on sleep before baby arrives is probably a good idea!
      Haha, I like your town gossip comment! I'll be good ;-)
      Thanks for your support

      Delete
  2. Hope you'll feel better soon, Dubliner!
    How lovely to have so much time off before the due date. I am sure you won't get bored ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! Yeah I'm sure I'll find plenty to do :)

      Delete
  3. Half way. Half way!! How is that possible? Your pregnancy is absolutely flying by!
    Cute booties :-)

    I assume most people spend the time off sleeping, having nice long baths and watching lots of non-child-appropriate TV while they still can ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the last few weeks in particular have really flown by!
      Haha, I love the non child appropriate TV shows idea! :-)

      Delete
  4. Half way. I can't believe it. I am off to a christening tomorrow to a family who have had their first very much wanted and wished for baby after many years of disappointment. It's all ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's lovely for your friends. It's really great when it finally works after so much time wishing and hoping. Yeah, halfway already!

      Delete
  5. Ah so happy for you. Feeling movement is so awesome; it makes it so much more real. Wow may leave 6 weeks before birth. How much do you get after the birth? In Canada you dan take mat leave up to 4 months before but then you don’t get that time after birth. I worked up to 2.5 weeks before my first was born (was supposed to be a week and a half but she was late). Everyone’s different; having all that time to rest does sound appealing though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah six weeks does seem like a lot! You can take up to 14 months here after if you share it with your partner. I'm thinking of taking about 7 months then going back to work part time and letting hubby take a few more months.

      Delete
  6. NEVER feel guilty about missing work, Dub! Especially if you're genuinely feeling crap. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger I'd be sent to school feeling bad unless I was extremely sick so I guess I've picked up that mentality! But you're so right!

      Delete

Comments are welcome