Monday, April 25, 2016

Brooklyn the movie and me


They say that Ireland's greatest export is its people.  A recent film which deals with Irish immigration is Oscar nominated "Brooklyn" and it's well worth seeing. The main role is played by the mesmerizing Saoirse Ronan and the story is based on a book of the same name. It tells the tale of an Irish girl, Eilis, growing up in 1950s Ireland who has the opportunity to emigrate to New York. The film shows her making friends and finding a job. On the other hand you also see her suffering from homesickness while she attempts to adjust to life there. She eventually ends up meeting an Italian American guy and falling in love. However circumstances change and she has to abruptly return to Ireland. While there she also meets an a potential love interest, not to mention experiencing pressure from family and friends that she should stay. She is then torn between the two worlds. Should she stay in Ireland, her home or go back to America where her new life awaits.


Watching the film I felt like I could relate to her leaving Ireland and feeling homesickness but also having two parallel lives, and trying to choose which direction to go. Germany for me meant being with my soulmate, job prospects, a good life. Ireland was home though where my family and friends were. Anyway, I eventually chose to stay here and I'm happy that I took a chance and I love it now in Germany even though there were times I was very homesick in the beginning and had to deal with culture shock.

I couldn't help but be reminded by the film that emigrating these days is a lot less scary than it was back in the 1950s. I didn't have a long long arduous journey over, only a short flight. In order to talk to my family I can simply arrange a skype chat. Back then there might only have been one shared phone in the house or a pay phone down the street and calls abroad were very expensive. If I would like to go to Ireland at short notice it is usually relatively affordable and possible, which means I get to fly back around three or four times a year while family and friends can also come over here easily for a visit. I guess my point is, I'm very glad I emigrated to Germany in the 2000s and not in the 1950s!

5 comments:

  1. All I'll say is I felt exactly the same when I watched the movie...It makes you reflect on how easy it is now to move abroad, I don't think I would have coped emigrating 60 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah back then emigrating was way harder! At least for us we have the option of a flight to see friend and family and in the meantime skype and whatsapp!

      Delete
  2. I just watched this movie earlier this week. I thought they did a pretty good job of showing what it feels like to move abroad, albeit it's certainly easier to keep in touch nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I thought they did a good job too, showing the good and bad sides. Thankfully it's a lot easier keeping in touch now!

      Delete
  3. I Hopefully all People this site account create
    https://cpagrip.com/show.php?l=0&u=325343&id=31792

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome